Language training for immigrants in Canada

Thousands of people come to Canada every year to study a foreign language. These are not only students, but also immigrants who want to improve their knowledge and communication skills in order to get a good job in the future. The country is officially bilingual, so migrants have the right to choose English or French. The methodology of teaching a language in Canada is recognized as one of the best in the world, which attracts immigrants from different countries.

Features of admission of immigrants to a language school

Knowledge of the language is the key to successful adaptation to life abroad. To integrate into the local environment, Canada offers free courses throughout the whole country to newly arrived immigrants whose level is below 8 on the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB). In the future, you can increase your language progress for a fee at any private school or on courses at a university or college.

The government has developed a special language program LINK for teaching English in Canada (CLIC - a similar program for learning French in the province of Quebec), where immigrants are also taught to write resumes, look for a job and talk about the specifics of interviewing. The intensity of the study and the form (offline / online) are selected by students independently.

To enroll in the course, a newcomer must contact the nearest LINK language center in the place of residence and sign up for a language assessment test. Based on its results, an individual training program will be offered in one of the schools.

The test exam has its own characteristics. Speaking and listening skills are tested by the examiners comprehensively during the conversation. Next, within an hour, you need to complete the tasks of writing and reading. An overall score is assigned to the test result.

An answer with the test results, a list of schools where you should apply to enroll in the course, and detailed instructions for further actions will be sent by mail. To be put on the waiting list, you are obliged to visit any of the schools personally.

What language programs do Canadian schools offer?

The list of ESL / FSL language course programs is generally standard for each province. The choice depends on the purpose of the study.

  1. General - a basic course that trains language perception skills. Students learn to understand foreign speech, speak, read and write. Depending on the level of proficiency, you can choose a standard or intensive program up to 40 hours per week.

  2. Examinational - the main purpose of the course is to prepare for the international exam.

  3. Specialized - business English, taking into account the specialty of the student.

  4. For children - additional language lessons for children, combined with recreational activities.

For applicants planning to enter Canadian universities, it is more logical to enroll in language courses offered by the chosen educational institution.

Paid language courses in Canada

If the purpose of visiting the country is only to study the language, it is necessary to start the preparation process by collecting the necessary documents and choosing a language school. The type of visa will also depend on the length of stay in the country. If the course of study does not exceed 6 months in time, you can apply for a temporary resident tourist visa.

To obtain a Canadian visa for more than 6 months, you will need to obtain a study permit. By this time, the future student must have the following documents:

  • current international passport;
  • photographs of the established sample;
  • copies of identity documents with translations into English;
  • completed application form;
  • receipts for school fees and health insurance;
  • receipt of payment of the registration fee;
  • an invitation from an educational institution;
  • certificates of no previous convictions and deportations;
  • bank statement as confirmation of financial solvency for the entire period of study.

Most foreign students choose combined programs that conjoin language studies with visits to excursions and discussion clubs.

The best language schools in Canada are educational institutions in such large cities as Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. You should be prepared for the fact that immigration for the purpose of teaching English in Canada is a rather expensive process. In addition to the costs of paying for college or university services, take into account the costs of living (from 270 to 700 CAD per week, subject to living on campus) and flights. It takes about a month to issue a study visa.

Whichever way of immigration to learn a language you choose, moving abroad will give you invaluable experience and it will significantly increase your level of foreign language skills.