Student visa

The study permit allows foreign students to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada.

Please note that a study permit on its own does not allow you enter Canada. For this, you may need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA).

How long can you stay in Canada with a study permit? 

A study permit is generally valid up to your study program's length, plus an additional 90-day stay. During this period, you can either prepare to leave Canada or plan to extend your stay.

Can you return home while studying?

Yes, you can return home. However, upon your return to Canada you may be asked to prove that you are enrolled in an educational program here in Canada.  

Your visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) should be valid on the day on return and entry to Canada.

You are eligible to study in Canada if you:

  • Have enrolled at a designated learning institution(DLI).
  • Have sufficient money to:
    • Pay your tuition fees,
    • Manage your and your family's living expenses, and
  • Follow the law and have no criminal record. You may also need a police certificate for clarification.
  • Be in good health and get a medical exam, if required.
  • Prove that you'll leave Canada after the expiration of your study permit.

People who don’t need a study permit in Canada

There is no need for a study permit:

1.     For short-term studies not exceeding 6 months, and

2.     For families or staff of foreign representatives who have been accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC).

  1. For a member of any foreign armed force on official duties in Canada.
  2. For minor children who are:
    1. In kindergarten,
    2. Refugees or children of refugees,
    3. In primary, secondary or pre-school accompanying a parent who is on a study or work permit.

Note that upon reaching the age of majority, i.e. 18 or 19-years, depending on their province or territory, the children must apply for a study permit to continue studying in Canada. 

Work on-campus or off-campus

If you have an active study permit and are registered at any DLI, you might be eligible to work on-campus or off-campus. In which case, your study permit will note that you are allowed to work during your study period.  

Can I bring my family with me to Canada?

You can bring your partner, common-law partner, or dependent children to Canada while you are studying. The accompanying family members will be eligible for an open work permit or study permit for the duration of your study program.

Post-graduation work permit

Upon graduation from an eligible program at a Canadian post-secondary institution, you might be eligible to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. PGWP offers graduates an open work permit across Canada.

Organization of immigration
Leave your contact information
We evaluate your chances
You get a consultation
You conclude an agreement with a specialist
Your documents are examined by a Canadian licensed specialist
Canadian specialist prepares a package of documents for the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration
Дополнительно об иммиграции
Иммиграция в Канаду 2021
Равным образом новая модель организационной деятельности развития.
Какие документы нужны для иммиграции?
Равным образом новая модель организационной деятельности развития.
Что делать, если вы провалили собеседование?
Равным образом новая модель организационной деятельности развития.
Новые правила для иммиграции
Равным образом новая модель организационной деятельности развития.
Order a free consultation